Segment is the world’s leading Customer Data Platform (CDP). Segment provides companies with the data foundation that they need to put their customers at the heart of every decision. Using Segment, companies can collect, unify and route their customer data into any system where it’s needed to better understand their customers and create seamless, compelling experiences in real-time. Activate your customer data in 300+ marketing tools, in real-time.
When you integrate Blueshift and Segment, you can:
- Import customer and events data from Segment into Blueshift.
- Export campaign activity data to Segment.
- Send data to Segment from within a campaign journey.
Before you begin
Before you can integrate with Blueshift, you must have your Segment account set up.
For more information about this integration, including schema specs from Segment.com, see the Blueshift source documentation page.
Import data from Segment
If you currently use Segment, you can integrate your data into Blueshift with a 1-click integration. For more information, see Integrating Segment with Blueshift.
You can import any event data as required. Event data is associated with customers based on unique profile identifiers. For more information about custom events, see Manage custom events.
To import data from Segment into Blueshift, complete the following steps:
- Get the Blueshift Event API key from the API Keys tab in Account Settings and add this key on the Settings page in Segment.
- Do not select the Retarget option.
In a few minutes, you should see data/events from Segment flow into Blueshift. You can see the events from the Events index page - https://app.getblueshift.com/dashboard#/click_stream/index or https://app.eu.getblueshift.com/dashboard#/click_stream/index, depending on your region.
Note: It might take upto 5 minutes for the data to be seen on the Events index page.
Send campaign engagement data back to Segment
Blueshift also supports sending campaign engagement data back into Segment with the use of Segment Sources.
To use the sources integration, complete the following steps:
- Go to the Campaign Activity Export tab in Account Settings.
- Set Messaging Event Notifications as Enabled.
- Select Segment.com from the Send Notifications to field options.
- Add the Write key from Segment as the Segment.com Write Key.
- Select the events you want to export.
- Save your settings.
Send data (campaign) to Segment
When you integrate Blueshift and Segment using Cloud apps, you can generate a Segment event during a campaign journey and send data to Segment. For example, you can send information for an abandoned cart event. You can then further analyze this data to understand customer behavior, and make decisions about your product.
Set up integration
To add a Segment adapter in Blueshift, complete the following steps:
- Sign in to the Blueshift app, and click Apps in the left navigation menu.
- Go to All Apps, search for, and select Segment (Campaigns).
- You can also go to Data Platform Apps and select Segment (Campaigns).
- Click Configure to view all the configured adapters.
- Click +ADAPTER to add an adapter.
- Add a Name for the adapter. If you have multiple adapters, the adapter name helps you to identify the integration.
- Provide the following details for integration:
Field Description API Key The API key for your Segment account.
- Add information for any Additional Headers.
- Click Save to add the adapter.
The adapter is now added and you can use it in your Cloud App template.
Quick start templates
When you create an adapter in the App Hub, the following quick start template is added to the Cloud App templates.
- Send an event
Consider the following points about quick start templates:
- Quick start templates are identified by the label "QUICK START".
- A quick start template is added only when you create the first adapter for the app in App Hub. If you have multiple adapters for an app, you can edit the Adapter details on the template Properties tab to select the required adapter.
- You can use this template as-is in your campaigns. You cannot make any changes to the schema for a quick start template.
- You can clone the template and then edit the schema as required.
- Configure the Segment quick start template to send a payload from a campaign.
- You can clone the quick start template and edit the schema if required. You can also create a new template.
- In your campaign journey, add a Segment trigger. Select the template that you created.
Configure or create a Segment cloud app template
A Cloud App template is required to send a payload to Segment from a campaign. For more information, see Cloud Apps templates.
To use a quick start template or to add a Segment Cloud App template, complete the following steps:
- Go to Creatives > Cloud App.
- Complete one of the following actions:
- Select the Send an event quick start template for Segment from the list of templates.
- To create a clone of the quick start template, go to the action menu for the template and click Clone.
- To create a new template, click +TEMPLATES on the Cloud App Templates page. Select the Segment app.
Note: Only apps that support Cloud Apps templates and have atleast one adapter configured are displayed on the Cloud App Templates page.
- Go to the Properties tab and configure the template name, add tags and other relevant information.
Field Description Template Name Specify a name for the template to identify it on the index screen. API Endpoint Specify the API endpoint that receives the request that we make. Adapter Select the adapter to use to send the payload. Tags
Specify tags to organize this template.
Since this template is a Blueshift resource that you use in campaigns, you can use tagging to organize it under folders.
For more information on this, see Tagging.
- Go to the Content tab.
- Go to the Content Form tab and fill the form to specify the data to send to Segment. You can use personalizations in the content.
- If you are using a cloned quick start template or a new template, go to the Schema tab and configure the schema for the form.
- In the preview tab, you can also switch to JSON and view the content in JSON format.