A double opt-in subscription method is where customers are added to your mailing list only when they explicitly subscribe or opt-in to receive messages.
With the double opt-in method, you can be assured that the customer has an interest in your business or a particular topic which leads to greater engagement and better results for your marketing strategy.
To implement the opt-in method, complete the following steps:
- Identify the channel that you will use
- Set up the global inclusion segment using this attribute
- Set up your opt-in campaign
- Set up your marketing campaigns
Identify the channel
The customers’s subscription status for each channel is captured in a unique attribute. Use the appropriate attribute based on the channel you are using to send messages. By default, the unsubscribed attribute for all customers is set to NULL.
- Email - unsubscribed
- SMS - unsubscribed_sms
- Push - unsubscribed_push
- In-app - unsubscribed_inapp
Set up the global inclusion segment
Set up a global inclusion segment with the condition “unsubscribed_attribute=False” where “unsubscribed_attribute” is the attribute you identified in step 1.
Set up your opt-in campaign
- Set up a campaign to send opt-in messages to your customers.
- On the campaign Properties tab, go to the Messaging Preferences section and select “Skip global inclusion check”. This ensures that all customers who have not explicitly unsubscribed from receiving messages for that channel will receive the marketers message to opt in for notifications.
- When a customer explicitly subscribes to receive messages, send an event to Blueshift with that information. The unsubscribed attribute for that customer is then set to ‘FALSE’.
Set up your marketing campaigns
In your other campaigns, ensure that the “Skip global inclusion check” option on the campaign Properties tab is cleared. This ensures that the global inclusion segment is applied and only customers who have explicitly opted in to receive messages will receive them.