There are several ways in which you can test your campaign journey before and after you launch your campaign.
You can preview user specific content on the journey builder by specifying the user email or the Customer ID. With this option, you can preview the templates in the journey for the particular user.
Note: Templates using recommendations will show content based on the default Blueshift user: email@example.com
You can run campaigns in test mode.
Use the test mode feature sparingly for campaigns. Do not use it to complete a dry run of every campaign before launching it. Some possible use cases for this feature are:
- Debugging a specific message rendering issue across many users.
- QA-ing sends across many users before making a campaign live.
- Testing external fetch rate limiting against your own systems before making a campaign live.
- A campaign can either be run solely in test mode or solely in regular mode. We do not recommend toggling the "test mode" flag on and off for a campaign once it has been launched (i.e. when the campaign is in the 'paused' or 'launched' state) as it could lead to execution issues.
- After you have finished testing the campaign, we recommend that you clone it and launch it in regular mode to avoid any execution issues.
Select the Run in test mode option on the Campaign properties tab to test the campaign on real users without actually sending any messages.
If selected, the campaign will have the following characteristics for one-time, recurring, and segment triggered:
- It does not apply messaging limits.
- It does not send a message. Instead, it will archive the message in your Blueshift S3 bucket in the campaigns/debug/<campaign_uuid>/<execution_time>/ folder. The files have a user attribute and trigger UUID in the file name.
- Since it does not send a message, it also does not add to the user’s messaging counts.
- Links in the message body get rewritten so that they do not generate click stats.
- No stats of any kind get created.
If the campaign is event or API triggered, it has the following additional characteristics:
- It ignores the campaign journey concurrency setting.
- It archives the message in your Blueshift S3 bucket in the campaigns/debug/<campaign_uuid>/ folder. The files have a user attribute, trigger UUID and execution time in the file name.
- Any live users that get processed while the campaign is in test mode will exit the campaign. This ensures no messaging occurs while the campaign is in test mode, even if the live user had received a message from a previous trigger when the campaign was live.
- Any test users that get processed while the campaign is live will exit the campaign. This ensures test users don't receive any subsequent messages if the campaign gets switched from test mode to live.
- This feature is disabled by default.
- Test mode is limited to 5 campaigns.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to enable this feature or if you need more campaigns allocated for testing.
For an event triggered campaign that is launched, you can test the event-triggered flows by publishing a test event from the Journey tab. This capability makes it easy to experience and validate a journey right from the Journey tab.
- To publish the test event, click the Test campaign with sample event icon.
The Publish a sample event window opens. The sample event has some pre-populated values from the most recent event received.
- In the Publish a sample event window, provide the user information.
- You can add additional parameters to the event data.
- Click Publish.
A sample event is generated and it triggers the event flow for the specified user.